Renewable Energy Systems for Building Designers presents a comprehensive introduction to the latest resources and technologies used in high performance and net zero energy buildings, with a practical focus on the design and integration of these systems. This textbook and convenient reference offers a single-source guide to renewable technologies, balancing broad knowledge with the details of implementation crucial for successful sustainable design. It equips students and professionals with foundations and critical information needed to confidently plan for and meet the highest standards of energy efficiency in new construction and retrofitted buildings.
Part I of the book establishes key principles of renewable systems, power production, and design for climate, introducing energy modeling and measurements of performance. Part II focuses in more depth on renewable energy systems, including photovoltaics, heat pumps, solar thermal, and more. Dedicated chapters break down the fundamental concepts behind each renewable technology and present guidelines for configuration and installation including system requirements, equipment specification, sizing, and location of components. Part III discusses topics relevant across renewable systems, including energy storage, control and monitoring, and cost/payback calculation. Part IV comprises case studies of exemplary renewable energy projects.
- Covers resources and technologies including photovoltaics, solar thermal hot water, heat pumps, biomass, wind and microhydro turbines, marine renewable energy, deep cycle rechargeable batteries, and system controllers.
- Compiles up-to-date, essential information on designing with renewable systems in one location, organized by technology for easy reference.
- Presents clear explanations of all concepts and system aspects, using US/SI units and full-color diagrams and illustrations throughout.
- Features case studies of renewable energy systems in completed projects, demonstrating a range of climate specific applications.
- Includes study questions, a comprehensive guide to terminology and acronyms, spreadsheets for calculations, system sizing worksheets, and additional online resources.
Renewable Energy Systems for Building Designers: Fundamentals of Net Zero and High Performance Design will serve as an essential introduction and enduring reference for students of architecture, engineering, construction, and building science. Equally valuable as a professional resource, it will quickly become the go-to guide for energy efficient design for practitioners in these areas.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
part I|99 pages
Introduction to Renewable Energy and Building Performance
part II|117 pages
Renewable Energy: Systems and Design
part III|31 pages
System Implementation, Monitoring, and Payback