This is the definitive guide to the theories and concepts that make up the dynamic field of translation studies. Providing an accessible and fully up-to-date overview of key movements and theorists within an expanding area of study, this textbook has become a key source for generations of translation students on both professional and university courses.
New features in this third edition include:
- the latest research incorporated into each chapter, including linguistic precursors, models of discourse and text analysis, cultural studies and sociology, the history of translation, and new technologies
- a new chapter with guidelines on writing reflective translation commentaries and on preparing research projects and dissertations
- more examples throughout the text
- revised exercises and updated further reading lists throughout
- a major new companion web site with video summaries of each chapter, multiple-choice tests, and broader research questions.
This is a practical, user-friendly textbook that gives a comprehensive insight into how translation studies has evolved, and is still evolving. It is an invaluable resource for anyone studying this fascinating subject area.