Alexander the Great by Richard Stoneman is an introduction to the career and impact of the great Macedonian conqueror and the main themes of his reign. As well as tackling problems of interpretation, the author includes:
- an examination of the written and other sources and the problems of working with them
- discussion of archaeological and numismatic evidence
- an outline of the Macedonian background
- insight into Alexander's education and ideas
- exploration of Alexander's claim to divinity
- assessment of Alexander's short and long-term achievements
- a study of his influence in antiquity.