Women, Music, Culture: An Introduction, Third Edition is the first undergraduate textbook on the history and contributions of women in a variety of musical genres and professions, ideal for students in Music and Gender Studies courses. A compelling narrative, accompanied by 112 guided listening experiences, brings the world of women in music to life. The author employs a wide array of pedagogical aides, including a running glossary and a comprehensive companion website with links to Spotify playlists and supplementary videos for each chapter. The musical work of women throughout history—including that of composers, performers, conductors, technicians, and music industry personnel—is presented using both art music and popular music examples.
New to this edition:
- An expansion from 57 to 112 listening examples conveniently available on Spotify.
- Additional focus on intersectionality in art and popular music.
- A new segment on Music and #MeToo and increased coverage of protest music.
- Additional coverage of global music.
- Substantial updates in popular music.
- Updated companion website materials designed to engage all learners. Visit the author's website at www.womenmusicculture.com
TABLE OF CONTENTS
part Part I|70 pages
Telling Musical Stories
part Part II|92 pages
part Part III|70 pages
Visual Images in an Aural World
part Part IV|74 pages
A Time of Change
part Part V|71 pages
No Longer “One of the Boys”