This new and extended edition of Chinese: An Essential Grammar is an up-to-date and concise reference guide to modern Chinese (Mandarin) grammar.
Refreshingly jargon-free, it presents an accessible description of the language, focusing on the real patterns of use today. This Grammar aims to serve as a reference source for the learner and user of Chinese, irrespective of level, setting out the complexities of the language in short, readable sections.
It is ideal either for independent study or for students in schools, colleges, universities and adult classes of all types.
- Three new chapters on speech habits, writing conventions and new lexicalisation processes
- Chinese characters, as well as the pinyin romanisation, alongside all examples
- Literal and colloquial translations into English to illustrate language points
- Detailed contents list and index for easy access to information
- A glossary of grammatical terms.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
part Part I|39 pages
part Part II|104 pages
part Part III|101 pages
part Part IV|23 pages
part Part V|12 pages
part Part VI|10 pages
part Part VII|10 pages
Contemporary developments in Chinese