Discover Creativity with 2–5 Year Olds explores young children’s creative development and shares important insight as to why and how practitioners can encourage their natural curiosity. It will help early years practitioners and professionals to rediscover the joy of working creatively with young children and how to support them in developing their ideas, thoughts and feelings through creative expression and opportunities.
The book provides an in-depth account of what creativity is and how best to support children in their creative endeavours. Covering the prime areas of the early years foundation stage, it is packed with engaging, cost-effective and achievable activity ideas to support the young creative mind. Including case studies, discussion boxes and reflective points, the chapters consider key topics underpinned by theoretical perspectives including:
- Understanding he unique differences and needs of toddlers and pre-school children
- Forming respectful relationships and understanding the impact they can have on creativity
- Developing the environment and resources that enable creativity
- Exploring outdoors and how to make the most of time with young children outside
- Encouraging a process over product mindset
- Understanding the role of the adult in supporting creative thinking and exploration
This wonderful guide will inspire practitioners and equip them with the tools they need to fully support and cultivate the curious and creative side to every child.