Now in a fully revised third edition, How to Teach Poetry Writing: Workshops for Ages 5–9 is a practical, activity-based resource of poetry writing workshops. Each workshop provides enjoyable activities for pupils, aimed at building enjoyment and understanding of what poetry is and how to write it. Aiming to encourage speaking and listening skills as well as developing writing, this book includes:
- new workshops and a new emphasis on cross-curricular links;
- spelling, punctuation and grammar approached in an enjoyable and memorable way via poetry;
- redrafting and revising activities;
- poetry writing frames;
- traditional and contemporary poems from diverse cultures;
- children’s own poems on their favourite subjects;
- performance poetry;
- word games, nonsense and invented words;
- an A to Z guide to poetry, providing terminology, examples and a fund of further lesson ideas;
- a very extensive bibliography to encourage further reading and reading for enjoyment.
This book provides teachers with a wealth of material and the inspiration to create a class of enthusiastic and skilled readers, writers and listeners.