The increasing technologic use of metals is one measure of progress of civilization since early man’s emergence from the Stone Age. This has posed hazards, from the time metals were fashioned into spears to present-day exposures to space-age alloys. Copper in dust, fumes, or sprays may produce “brass chills” which is a form of “metal fume fever.” Chronic exposure may result in nasal ulceration and bleeding. Various damage to lung tissue has been reported in cases of severe intoxication after exposure to copper sulfate sprays. The central nervous system is probably the most clinically significant site of toxicity. Manganese toxicity has been observed primarily among workers associated with the mining, refining, and manufacturing of manganese. In addition to the extensive neural tissue damage which can occur with chronic manganese toxicity, an iron-responsive anemia is a common finding with orally induced manganese toxicity.