Makerere College only achieved the status of a university college attached to the University of London in 1950, three years after Obote arrived there. Located on the outskirts of Kampala, the main town although not then the capital of Uganda, the college had been in existence for nearly thirty years and was the highest centre of education in East Mrica. Students came to the college from Kenya, Tanganyika and Zanzibar, as well as from Uganda, and there were even a few from Nyasaland and Northern Rhodesia. The course was of two years' duration and successful students were awarded a college diploma which was about equivalent to a good A level standard in three subjects. After that there were professional courses in education, in medicine at the already famous Makerere medical school, in agriculture and in veterinary science.