The Bombardment of Mers-el-Kébir, 3 July
DOI link for The Bombardment of Mers-el-Kébir, 3 July
The Bombardment of Mers-el-Kébir, 3 July book
At 1754 on 3 July 1940, at the maximum visibility distance of 17,500 yards, HMS Hood, followed by HMS Valiant and Resolution, opened fire on the French warships in the harbour of Mers-el-Kébir. During the next 10 minutes, the three capital ships fired 12 salvoes apiece, amounting to 144 15in (380mm) rounds. Force ‘H’, besides the three capital ships, consisted of the light cruisers Arethusa and Enterprise, which were tasked with replying to shore batteries, and the destroyers Faulknor, Foxhound, Forester, Keppel, Active and Vidette, screening against submarine or destroyer attack.