There has always been inequality in the distribution of wealth and income at both a national and global level. But what is becoming increasingly evident is that the wealth of the world is becoming more unevenly distributed, with the rich becoming very rich and the poorest segments of the world’s population possessing a diminishing share of the world’s wealth (see Bergesen and Bata, 2002; UNDP, 2002). The top 0.25 percent of the world’s population have as much wealth as the other 99.75 percent.