The Internet Addiction Disorder
DOI link for The Internet Addiction Disorder
The Internet Addiction Disorder book
What follows is the first part of an extraordinary letter sent to Tao Hongkai in the hope that he could save this young man from the clutches of “internet addiction.” This letter is extraordinary because unlike most young people who are sent by their parents, almost always through deception, to military-style and medicalized boot camps and treatment centers, Xiao Wang actually sought out help on his own accord. For example, of the approximately 3000 letters that accompanied this one in Tao Hongkai’s office, perhaps 5 percent were written by the “internet addict” him/herself. The other 95 percent or so are written by a parent, usually a mother, imploring educator Tao Hongkai to save their child from the dreaded internet addiction. And so to Xiao Wang’s internet use:
I have already lost confidence in my own life. I am already close to desperation.