I created a pretty brilliant schedule for the casting process and broke it down into four weeks that consisted of four categories that took place during the four weeks prior to preproduction. Our preproduction schedule was three weeks long, and there was going to be enough to do during that time. So I made a point of scheduling a full month, four weeks prior to preproduction, to handle the following:
Week 7 we did our preparation, which consisted of planning the schedule with the director and line producer and getting the character breakdowns to Breakdown Services.
Week 6 we did the scheduling for the auditions.
Week 5 we did the auditions.
Week 4 we did the callbacks and actors’ deal memos.