ABSTRACT

The Chinese language, or group of related languages, is spoken by the Hans, who constitute 92 per cent of China’s population. One word for the language in Chinese is Hanyu, the Han language. Different, non-Han languages are spoken by the remaining 8 per cent of the population, the so-called minority peoples, such as the Mongols and Tibetans.