George Sturt, wheelwright
DOI link for George Sturt, wheelwright
George Sturt, wheelwright book
George Sturt owned and managed a wheelwright's shop in Farnham, Surrey, from 1884 to 1920. The shop, originally established in 1706, had been bought by Sturt's grandfather in 1810; all five sons had entered the business, and Sturt's father, who inherited in 1865, had expanded considerably by adding a smithy and timber-yard. When he died suddenly in 1884 George, who was being educated for a profession, had to take control and learn the trade from his workmen.