In 1834 Walkers, William Parker took over the lease of the Dee Bank smelting works from the Halkin Adventurers. This was a relatively small works, although probably with a considerable amount of land, which 'consisted only of a single row of smelting furnaces, with slag hearth and office'. On the land purchased to the north of the main road Walkers, Parker began to build a new works, which was in operation by 1841. In 1866, however, Walkers, Parker accepted an offer made by Newton, Keates to purchase all their three lead works, at Greenfield, Bagillt and Glasgow. Walkers, Parker would supply lead chemicals for the London market by sea from their Elswick works. With the Elswick works established and its product successfully marketed in London, the idea of opening a London works in order more expeditiously to supply the metropolitan market emerged.