The Commission on Children's Employment, which had led to the passing of the Mines Act of 1842, had investigated a wide range of factories, including lead works but little attention was paid to them since they offered few opportunities for child employment. The subject of lead poisoning was raised in passing and it was shown that the companies paid some attention to the problem. The report on white lead is that it is impossible that it can be used in manufacture without poisoning the user. Precautions cannot prevent the poisoning. Several of the preventive measures were ineffectual since many of the workpeople interviewed objected to wearing gloves because they could not handle the implements freely when doing so and would not wear a respirator, or 'muzzle' as they called it, because they became too hot. The 1923 Report was the last in a long series of government inquiries over a 40-year period into the causes of industrial lead poisoning.