All Saints: The Growth of a Riverside Parish
DOI link for All Saints: The Growth of a Riverside Parish
All Saints: The Growth of a Riverside Parish book
Given that there are reasonably reliable estimates of the number of keels and keelmen operating on the Tyne during the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries, those living and working in the water trades at a more local level can be examined more closely. During this period, the largest concentration of the water trades community was based at the east end of Newcastle ‘keyside’, in Sandgate, which lay within the Parish of All Saints. Many contemporary records survive for all of the Anglican parishes in Newcastle and along the lower River Tyne, however the four parishes in Newcastle, those of St Nicholas, St John, St Andrew and All Saints, have particularly full and complete surviving parish registers, including details of occupation in burial, baptism and marriage registers dating back to 1557 (Figure 4.1).