ABSTRACT

Left bank of the Rhine The S Rhineland was occupied at first in late 1792-early 1793 and then again from 1794 . French-manipulated local assemblies on 14 , 20 and 30 Mar 1793 saw nearly 100 communities from the Palatinate , the Zweibrucken region and else­ where vote for incorporation . The margrave of Baden ceded small enclaved territories to the French in a treaty , 7 Aug 1796. Even though part of the area was organised into depts ( 1 Oct 1795 , 4 Nov 1797) and was recognised by the Austrians at Campo-Formio, it remained a pawn with which to negotiate right through the 1790s , and was not officially annexed until 1 80 1 .