Textile Institute Series: Responsibility and Sustainability
The Textile Institute and Routledge have partnered to produce a ground--‐breaking new book series entitled Sustainability in Textiles. As the second largest industry in the world, textiles and textile production have a huge impact on the environment, the people who work within the industry and the development of business and government policy at a global level.
The Textile Institute, the world’s leading institution for the industry, defines Sustainable Textiles and Apparel in the following ways:
- Safe for humans and the physical environment;
- Made from renewable materials;
- Produced through making the most efficient use of resources such as water and energy;
- Manufactured by people employed in decent working conditions;
- Capable of being washed at low temperature using environmentally friendly laundering agents;
- Capable of being returned safely to the environment at the end of their useful life (Performance Apparel Market, 2009).